I received this information by email, and it seemed too important to keep to myself. Please pass it on to others, perhaps to post in offices or in the ladies' rest rooms at your office or place of work. We can work together to keep our friends and neighbors a little safer.
A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts:
1). Rapists look for potential victims with certain hairstyles, such as a ponytail, long hair, braid or hairstyle that can easily be grabbed.
2). They look for women whose clothing is easy to remove quickly.
3). They look for women on their cell phone, searching through their purse, or doing other activities while walking, because they are off-guard and can be easily overpowered.
4). Men are most likely to attack & rape between 5:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
5). The #1 place women are abducted/attacked is grocery store parking lots. #2: office parking lots/garages. #3: public restrooms.
6). A rapists are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.
7). Only 2% of rapists said they carried weapons, because rape carries a 3-5 year sentence but rape with a weapon is 15-20 years.
8). If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming.
9). Rapists said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands. Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.
10). If someone is following behind you on a street, in a garage, or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it, or make general small talk: Now you've seen their face and could identify them in a line-up; you lose appeal as a target. 11). If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell STOP or STAY BACK! Most of the rapists said they'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back, since they are looking for an EASY target.
12). If you carry pepper spray yell I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY and holding it out will be a deterrent.
13). If someone grabs you, you can't beat them with strength but you can by outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker either under the arm (between the elbow and armpit) OR in the e upper inner thigh VERY VERY HARD. One woman used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands - the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it - it hurts.
14). After the initial hit, always GO for the GROIN. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists said are that they want a woman who will not caus e a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble and he's out of there.
15). When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible.
16). Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it, go with your instincts!!! You may feel a little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
17. Tip from Tae Kwon Do: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
18. If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet /purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
19. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
20. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc.) DON'T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
21. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot or parking garage:A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, on the floor, and in the back seat.B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.C.) Look at the car parked near your vehicle. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE paranoid than dead.
22. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot, especially true at NIGHT!
23. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit a running target 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN in a zigzag pattern!
24. Women are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP! It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and asked 'for help' into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
25. A woman heard a crying baby on her porch and called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her "DO NOT open the door."The lady said it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, DO NOT open the door. A serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes. Several calls by women saying they hear baby's cries outside their doors were reported.The Crying Baby killer was also mentioned on America's Most Wanted.
If you can add something constructive to this, please feel free.